REGULATIONS REGARDING MEVLANA EXCHANCE PROGRAM
THE FİRST PART Aim, Scope, Base and Definitions
ARTICLE 1 – (1) The aim of this regulations is to regulate the guidelines and procedures regarding the student and the staff exchange Programs between higher education institutions studying both in Turkey and abroad.
Scope ARTICLE 2 – (1) This regulations includes the guidelines and procedures regarding the student and the staff exchange for higher education institutions studying both in Turkey and abroad.
Base ARTICLE 3 – (1) This regulations was made on the basis of the Higher Education Law no: 7-10-65 of 2547 dated 4/11/1981.
Definitions and Abbreviations ARTICLE 4 – (1) Aforementioned this regulations;
a) ECTS: European Credit Transfer System,
b) Participation Certificate : Document with signature and seal prepared by higher education institution in which training activities are carried out shows beginning and ending time of student's academic year.
c) Mevlana Exchange Program: This Program refers to the exchange Program for the students and the staff within the scope of protocol between the Higher Education Institutions that are giving educations in the country and abroad.
ç) Mevlana Exchange Program institution coordination office is the department responsible for carrying out the transactions regarding Mevlana Exchange Program in Higher Education Institutions.
d) Mevlana Exchange Program institution coordinator is the staffs who are responsible for executing the Mevlana Exchange Program institution coordination office's activities in behalf of Higher Education Institution and he is superior institution chef of Higher Education Institutions or staff that is directly dependent on assistant chef.
e) Mevlana Exchange Program Student refers to the student participating in the Mevlana Exchange Program.
f) Mevlana Exchange Program Student Declaration refers to a document in which the rights and obligations that the students have during the exchange Program are stated.
g) Mevlana Exchange Program Staff refers to the academic staffs who are participating in the activities carried out within the scope of exchange Program.
ğ) Mevlana Exchange Program Obligation Agreement refers to the agreement that is signed between the student and the Higher Education Institution to which student have gone and this involves the period of exchange, the amount of scholarship and the other payments. It includes the responsibilities in case of a student does not fulfill his responsibilities and similar issues as well.
h) Student Final Report refers to the document including the personal assessment and précis regarding the exchange Program activities when the Program is completed.
ı) It refers to the Higher Education Institution.
i) Foreign Higher Education Institutions refer to the universities, academies, high schools advanced technology institutes and the higher education institutions like these that give education dependent on the body of current law of countries that they are educated. Or these can be founded through the bilateral or plurilateral international agreements abroad.
j) Higher Education Institutions Within The Country (Turkish Higher Education Institutions) refer to the advanced technology institutes, vocational foundation high schools and the universities giving educations depending upon the Law no 2547.
THE SECOND PART
Common Protocol and Documents
Common Protocol ARTICLE 5 – (1) Mevlana Exchange Program can be carried out through the Mevlana Exchange Program Protocol that is signed between the Turkish Higher Education Institution and the Foreign Higher Education Institution. Turkish Higher Education Institutions can sign Mevlana Exchange Program Protocol with the Higher Education Institutions that give education abroad and the ones whose equivalence certificates approved by Council of Higher Education are gained recognition.
(2) Mevlana Exchange Program Protocol enables the parties to collaborate in the matter of common activities and Programs within the scope of Mevlana Exchange Program. Executive Committee's of Council of Higher Education can decide to include the Higher Education Institutions out of Program who do not the necessary of exchange protocol. Executive Committee's of Council of Higher Education takes necessary measures to distribute Mevlana Exchange Program Protocols' equally and actively among the countries, regions and higher education institutions and also it takes necessary measures to apply them.
Activity Validity Period ARTICLE 6 – (1) Validity period of activity is determined by Executive Committee's of Council of Higher Education basing on the academic calendar for one academic year that was determined by the involved higher education institutions. Domestic Higher Education Institutions(Turkish ones), demand fund for each academic year regarding the planned changes within the scope of Mevlana Exchange Program. Higher Education Institutions use the fund that is assigned to themselves in the corresponding academic year. The unused amounts are entered in an account with the decision of Executive Committee's of Council of Higher Education taking the demanded amount for the next academic year into account.
Documents and The Language ARTICLE 7 – (1) The regulations, information and documents are prepared at least in two languages -Turkish and English- In case of a conflict among the texts, Turkish edition is used as a base.
(2) One for each original copy of documents is kept by higher education institutions within the scope of Mevlana Exchange Program.
(3) The samples of documents are prepared by Council of Higher Education and are published on the participating higher education institutions' websites. Higher Education Institutions can add information and logos of their own institution regarding the activities to these documents.
Transactions Abroad ARTICLE 8 – (1) The domestic institutions of higher education signed with the protocols are obliged to take the necessary measures about the fulfillment related to the realization of exchange by signatory higher education institutions. The abroad higher education institutions, which participate in this program by signing the Mevlana Exchange Program, agree on the operation of the exchange that they are subject to the provisions of this Regulation.
Mevlana Exchange Program Student Exchange
Student exchange principles ARTICLE 9 – (1) Students enrolled in higher education institutions in formal education programs can participate student’s alteration in Mevlana Exchange Program. The change includes to continue the education of the registered students, who is in higher education institutions, in another institution of higher education which educated appropriate for the Protocol of Mevlana Exchange Program. Student exchange period includes at least one, maximum two semesters. Semester account is changed considering the education system. However, the change does not exceed the total duration of a school year.
(2) The students who registered in outdoor, outside, common or distance education, do not benefit from Mevlana Exchange Program.
(3) The students studying in their first year at associate or bachelor degree and the students of preparation classes and scientific preparation Programs of graduate degrees cannot participate in this Program at their first semester.
Student exchange listings ARTICLE 10 – (1) Higher education institutions declare Mevlana Exchange Program Protocols, which have done by them, on their web sites and they make the call for applications specified in these protocols included in the quota. Signatory domestic higher education institutions, follow the same processes for doing in accordance with the procedure by international higher education institutions which are made protocol. In these announcement are given Mevlana Exchange Program with program application requirements and information about the application process. HEC Executive Board is authorized on identifying and changing the terms of reference and the date announcement.
The conditions of being a student in Mevlana exchange program ARTICLE 11 – (1) Minimum conditions which are to be required in order to be a student in Mevlana Exchange Program:
a) To be studying at associate degree, bachelor degree, master degree and PhD degree of higher education Programs,
b) Grade point average (GPA) of associate degree and undergraduate students must be at least 2,5 on a four point scale,
c) Grade point average (GPA) of graduate students (MA, PhD) must be at least 3.00 on a 4 point scale.
(2) Note system in exchange for the notes in the quadrature system calculated on a hundred, the HEC decision on this issue will prevail.
(3) YHEC Executive Board is authorized to take the necessary measures and to set additional conditions other than those specified conditions in the first paragraph in order to occur effective and efficient student exchange.
Student selection and assessment of applications
ARTICLE 12 – (1) Higher educational institutions determine distribution and the number of students going abroad or coming from abroad that was carried out under bilateral protocols taking into account the amount of resources allocated to it by the HEC Executive Board. Higher education institutions cannot choose student to participate in Mevlana Exchange Program without signing the Protocol of Mevlana Exchange Program.
(2) GPA of the students is calculated considering the total of 50% of students in higher education institutions will be showing the language level of education in the language used about points and 50% of the average grade of the students who have application conditions and selection is performed by making arrangement.
(3) A language test results certificate, which is determined jointly and based on the student's selection, is requested higher education institutions who signed the exchange protocol.
(4) Evaluation results are published in the web page of the signatory higher education institutions.
(5) The provisions of this article are applied in students' selection and evaluation of the applications for coming students from abroad. However, evaluation of the applications of coming students from abroad and selection of students are carried out within the knowledge of the signatory domestic higher education institutions.
(6) Under this program, if it is necessary the scope, duration and terms of selection of students and applications are edited by HEC Executive Board again, in order to carry out student exchange effectively and efficiently.
Learning Protocol ARTICLE 13 – (1) Learning protocol is the protocol which includes credit for these courses and defined period before the start of the change period and is signed between higher education institutions that can perform exchanges. Courses and credits which are taken by the students entered higher education institutions and which of course would be to replace these courses and credits are clearly marked. The student declares that lessons are appropriate and he will follow with signature. Higher education institution commits that the taken lessons are accepted with protocols. Equivalence of courses is approved by the board of academic unit. The education program which is accepted to these protocols should be for the purpose of education program which students have already studied.
(2) Learning protocol is prepared and taken recordings by authorities of students and signatory higher education institution before the change. Learning Protocol regulated in triplicate and a copy of each of the parties including the student is stored. Learning Protocol is signed by related department heads and top managers of higher education institutions which make Mevlana Exchange Program Protocol or their duly authorized. The changes to be made for various reasons in the Learning protocol are required approval by the authorities of students and signatory higher education institution and also it is made within 30 days after the start of the academic year in higher education institutions where students go. This time in any way cannot be after exams date which students of Mevlana Exchange Program have to attend exams. Scholarships of Mevlana Exchange Program of students who are unable to achieve exchange fully due to a reason arising from the learning protocol are cut and payments are charged back.
(3) The student of Mevlana Exchange Program cannot enter the exam again or cannot take this course again from a course which he is successful and as specified in the study protocol.
Equalization of the Courses ARTICLE 14 – (1) Course loads of students in Mevlana Exchange Program which based on the framework of a common credit system are not less from the course loads which should be taken in the same semester by students in higher education institutions which they are enrolled. In the exchange, credits are considered not the number of courses. Higher education institutions can be based on the ECTS credit system as can agree on a common credit system provided that they declare as mutually agreed in the protocol which is signed. However, the national accreditation of courses taken by the student is clearly shown the study protocols.
(2) The Signatory institutions of higher education take the necessary measures about matched courses which are taken in their own institutions and will be taken in going higher education institutions in the exchange period, prevented repetition of students due to received lessons in their own institutions or will be received lessons another institutions in order to avoid the loss of student loans, course, semester or year in the exchange period. For this purpose, in the completion of the loans in order to prevent the course repetition courses are selected from the bottom or the upper class in the attended higher education institutions.
(3) In the Learning Protocol, credits of courses and what lessons are to be considered as equivalent are clearly defined before starting the academic year.
(4) In balancing course notes which students were successful, course grade is applied in universities they studied as a student of Mevlana Exchange Program. Students who want to go to different corporate passing grade course are informed about the subject before the start of the exchange period. It is assumed the students who signed the learning protocol are informed on the issue.
(5) Equivalences are approved by the board of academic unit. Courses and credits which the students who benefit from Mevlana Exchange Program are successful are specified in writing in the transcript of higher education institutions and courses that they are registered.
Course review, conditional pass, makeup exam ARTICLE 15 – (1) Students do the course review in higher education institution which they are registered if they fail in the lessons which no matter whatever reason should be taken in higher education institutions they go as a student of Mevlana Exchange Program. Course review is done by repeating the course which is recognized as equivalent in the student's education protocol. Course cannot be repeated in higher education institutions they go. Student cannot take any course of study protocol has not been recognized as equivalent again after he return to his higher education institutions.
(2) Conditional pass is not available for students of Mevlana Exchange Program. Students failing in any course enter the make-up exam if it will be done but just in the Mevlana Exchange Program that students of higher education institutions.
(3) Students cannot participate in make-up exams for the courses they have failed in their higher education institutions which are enrolled. They may participate summer school that has summer school application instead of makeup exam. Higher education institutions cannot demand any payment apart from the payments they demanded from their own students from students participating in the summer school for courses they failed. For these students cannot be made any payment in the scope of Mevlana Exchange Program.
(4) The students enter the only course exam in higher education institutions they are enrolled.
(5) Students of higher education institutions who are subjected to the thesis or similar applications are delivered these types of their studies to higher education institutions they registered. They are subjected to rules of higher education institutions they are enrolled for Internship, laboratory and similar applications.
(6) Courses, equivalence of courses, course review, conditional pass, and similar matters are reordered again by HEC Executive Board in order to be carried out program effectively and efficiently.
Academic recognition ARTICLE 16 – (1) Higher education institutions provide full recognition for its educational activities. Before beginning learning mobility, program of defined course will be confirmed in writing by means was signed the study protocol by all parties. Higher education institutions have to accept equivalence and counted successfully with credits of all courses being successful at the end of the exchange program. These courses are indicated in the diploma supplement.
Student exchange documents ARTICLE 17 – (1) Before the change, documents to be included in the student file are as follows:
a) The student application form,
c) Document showing language level,
ç) The contract signed between the student and higher education institutions (Mevlana Exchange Students Liability Convention).
(2) At the end of the change process, student delivers transcript and certificate of attendance and student final report, which are related to the education period spent in the higher education institution, at the latest within 15 days to his own higher education institutions. Also he delivers a copy of the final report to foreign higher education institutions to coordination office of Mevlana Exchange Program of signatory domestic higher education institutions by hand, mail or e-mail. Additional time is administered in order to complete or correct missing or incorrect paperwork by Higher Education Institutions, but not more than 15 days. If the documents do not fully delivered in time, student's transactions will be void and requested a refund of payments made to him.
Student Approval Document ARTICLE 18 – (1) Higher education institutions who accept student prepare an Admissions Certificate which is approved and signed indicating that the student is accepted as a student of Mevlana Exchange Program to be given a copy of this to higher education institutions, where there is student's original recording, and a copy of the relevant student after the signing of the study protocol. Mevlana Exchange Program Student Declaration delivered to all students who are eligible to be a student in Mevlana Exchange Program against signature.
Student’s liability ARTICLE 19 – (1) The students, who take acceptance certificate of higher education institutions, are deemed to have assumed the obligations of Mevlana Exchange Program. If students who received Certificate of Acceptance, do not start education without an excuse in higher education institutions they go, scholarships of Mevlana Exchange Program are cut. If there is, it is requested for the refund of payments made. Students in this situation cannot be a student in Mevlana Exchange Program at any education levels as a scholarship or non-scholarship student. Although it is selected, these provisions of paragraphs also apply for students who wish to waive participation in the exchange program when they renounced the petition.
(2) Students who received the document Mevlana Exchange Program are obliged to renew their registrations in time they are enrolled in higher education institutions and also they are enrolled in higher education institutions which will go on registration renewal period. Incoming student records are done by higher education institutions of the Mevlana Exchange Program Coordination Office, The records of students going abroad are done by the foreign higher education institutions based on the principles and procedures. Records, which are related to incoming and outgoing students and exam results, are kept by Mevlana Exchange Program Coordination Office of the domestic higher education institutions.
(3) Students, who could not benefit from the higher education institutions depending on excuses of sickness, accidents and so on and are eligible from the higher education institutions , can benefit from the program after their excuses last. Excuse status of these students, is documented stored in the file.
Disciplinary offenses ARTICLE 20 – (1) Students of Mevlana Exchange Program have to comply disciplinary rules of higher education institution they entered during the exchange. In time of change, actions and operations related to the investigation that led to disciplinary proceedings carried out by the higher education institution they attended. Their higher education board, which students are enrolled, is informed about the results of the investigation. As a result of investigation, in case of applying penalties and in the absence of the possibility of applying this punishment in the duration at higher education institutions they attended, penalty is applied by their own higher education institutions which the student is enrolled.
Student exchange of special scholarship or non-scholarship ARTICLE 21 – (1) In case of higher education institutions to insufficient funds allocated, for exchange students in Mevlana Exchange Program, students can perform exchange by their own opportunity or private scholarships with the proviso that the other conditions of the program will be provided. These provisions shall also apply for students of Mevlana Exchange Program in special scholarship or non-scholarship.
Education expenditures ARTICLE 22 – (1) Students only continue to pay tuition fee that they are obliged to pay to registered formal higher education institution of theirs within the time span in which they are the student of Mevlana Exchange Program. Students participating in the exchange cannot freeze their registration. Students don't pay an extra tuition fee to the school that they are going to attend in the frame work of exchange Program.
(2) Students of Mevlana Exchange Program may be subjected to other financial obligations that apply to their students in higher education institutions they attended. This point takes place in Liability Convention of Mevlana Exchange Program Student. Higher education institutions cannot demand an additional financial claims from the students of Mevlana Exchange Program except that financial payments they demand from their students.
Other scholarships and credits ARTICLE 23 – (1) Students' other grants and credits, they received during their time studying in Mevlana Exchange Program, go on.
Lecturer Mobility Program
The scope and duration of lecturer mobility program ARTICLE 24 – (1) All academic staff that works in a national or foreign higher education institution, on condition that the higher education institutions signed a bilateral Mevlana Exchange Protocol, may benefit from Lecturer Mobility Program. This mobility covers educational activities which the academic staff at higher education institutions will be realized on another higher education institution.
(2) Mobility duration of academic staff can be at least one week at most three months for only once in one academic year.
(3) In the scope of mobility, academic activities of academic staff cannot be less than total six hours weekly. In hourly calculation of the activities performed by academic staff, courses are considered. If course hours do not complete six hours, academic activities like seminars, panels or conferences are evaluated in this context. Academic staff mobility plans which do not contain lectures shall not be considered within Mevlana Exchange Program and accepted for the exchange.
(4) The scope, duration and conditions of mobility can reordered by HEC Executive Board if it is necessary in order to carry out the lecturer mobility program effectively and efficiently.
Determination of lecturers ARTICLE 25 – (1) All signed protocols and quotas of Mevlana Exchange Program are announced on the website of the higher education institutions and call for applications is made for instructors who wish to participate in this mobility. In announcements, information about the application process and payment will be made is given. Announcements shall not be less than 15 days are published on the website. All applications under the teaching staff mobility are taken until the deadline specified in the announcement. All applications are stored a copy of the changes to the domestic side of the Mevlana Exchange Program of higher education institutions in the coordination office and are recorded them by the higher education institutions of Mevlana Exchange Program Protocol.
(2) Main document relating to lecturer mobility is Plan of Mevlana Lecturer Mobility which is prepared by the instructors participating in the program. In the plan activities undertaken by lecturers is specified in a detailed manner. This Plan is approved by their institutions of lecturers and by the board of directors of academic unit they attended. Lecturer Mobility Plan is delivered to Signatory Domestic Mevlana Exchange Program Coordination Office at least 15 days before starting to be implemented. In this Plan, priority is given for some special circumstances such as which language will be taught by the lecturers, the language of higher education institutions attended and the level of knowledge in the language. In exchange, give priority to applications from academic staff who is not taking part in staff exchange activities before.
(3) Signatory institutions of higher education declare the lecturers who are eligible to participate in the exchange on institution's web pages as a result of the evaluation.
(4) Who are eligible to participate in the Mevlana Exchange Program and who do not join the change without an excuse cannot make any application within three years to benefit from this program.
Documents of Lecturer Mobility Program ARTICLE 26 – (1) The lecturers participating in the action deliver signed and sealed Certificate of Participation Activity, which is prepared by higher education institutions and is identified the duration of the academic program activities, and Final Report of the Lecturer Mobility, which is produced by themselves, to Mevlana Exchange Program Coordination Office of domestic higher education institutions at the latest within 15 days after completion of activities by hand, mail or e-mail.
Organization of Mevlana Exchange Program
Organization of Change
ARTICLE 27 – (1) The works and transactions related to the Mevlana Exchange Program activities are executed by the signatory institutions of higher education. Mevlana Exchange Program coordination office of the domestic higher education institutions takes the necessary measures in accordance with the legislation on the execution of overseas operations program.
(2) Domestic higher education institutions create a Mevlana Exchange Program Coordination Office which is directly connected to senior executives or assistant and hey appoint a coordinator. Domestic higher education institutions can execute the corporate activities of Mevlana Exchange Program in cooperation with units belonging to other national or international exchange programs in order to ensure coordination of activities through the effective use and integrity.
Change request ARTICLE 28 – (1) Domestic institutions of higher education deliver the demand for change to HEC. Domestic higher education institutions make demands for number of going, participating and future students and instructors by taking into account the time change to protocols of Mevlana Exchange Program which is signed in the program. These demands are evaluated by HEC Executive Board. The amounts set out in this evaluation are transferred to the accounts of domestic higher education institutions by decision of HEC Executive Board. Transferred amounts are used in the framework of the principles stated in article of Law 10 of No. 2547. Changes in demand for dates and closure of the accounts for the amount specified date and their rates are determined By HEC Executive Board.
(2) Private universities and foundations in vocational schools can do exchange students and faculty in international higher education institutions under this program' provisions. However, in this program, any transfer of funds or payments cannot made to the private universities and vocational colleges by HEC. Private universities and vocational schools are responsible to inform the Council of Higher Education except that financial provisions in order to achieve change in this program.
Miscellaneous and Final Provisions
Financial provisions ARTICLE 29 – (1) In order to support the Mevlana Exchange Program, the resources to be transferred to higher education institutions by HEC such as using of payments in this context and other considerations to be made about the recognition, rules and procedures which are determined jointly with the Ministry of Higher Education Board are applied.
Control ARTICLE 30 – (1) Expenses incurred within the scope of Mevlana Exchange Program supervised according to the 5018. Public Financial Management and Control Law. As a result of the internal audit of the authority, if it is determined that the program includes considerations contrary to this Regulation, audit results transmitted to the HEC by related domestic institutions of higher education. If it is needed by HEC, a check can also be done. In the detection of criminal acts, process is done about officials according to the legislation by higher education institution.
Elimination of the uncertainties ARTICLE 31 – (1) HEC Executive Board is authorized to eliminate the uncertainties that may arise in the implementation of this Regulation.
Enforcement ARTICLE 32 – (1) This regulation is put into effect on publication date.
Executive ARTICLE 33 – (1) Higher Executive Officer conducts the provisions of this regulation.